Here are some benefits of choosing to be celibate and/or practice abstinence:
– Allow you check person’s real motives ; avoid being used as a playmate or object
– Allows you to really value sex once you are married
– Less emotional baggage
– Less likely to have a soul tie, which makes it easier to leave if things get crazy or abusive
– You don’t worry about if you have an STD or not
– You don’t have to worry about someone cheating on you and you catching something from them.
– You don’t have to deal with unwanted pregnancies.
– Reduce your risk of being a single parent.
– Clearer mind, able to focus on the Lord less distraction
“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;” – 1 Corinthians 6:19 NIV
When you decide to honor God with your body and flee fornication you will see who is really for you and who is for helping themselves to you. It will help you eliminate the weeds that try to come up in your garden. I had an experience where I was seeing a guy, and we had been intimate in the past. Then a few months went by where we didn’t see each other, probably summer break (since I was in college at the time). And he called me up and came over to chill at my place on a Saturday night, I didn’t have anything to do so I said sure come over. Then when he comes over and he’s trying to touch all on me and obviously wanting to have sex. I let him know that I’m not doing that anymore, I’m celibate now, and I guess he thought I was joking because he tried again. I was like look stop, then he got an attitude and left the house.
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. – James 4:7 NIV
Making the decision to not just give my body to someone that I’m not married to protected me in this instance. I thought we were all good, but obviously his only motive was to try and come sleep with me. This happens over and over again to young women. You think you’re “having a good time” or “getting you some”, but you are really giving away your value treasures to people who do not deserve them. You deserve a husband that will you, be committed to you and protect you (including your heart). Not just use you up until he’s done and on to the next set of hot legs. You are worth the wait. Someone who loves you and values you will wait for you. Love waits.